9.02.2010

LISTEN: Val Emmich - Looking For A Feeling You Never Knew You Needed

19 days. That's all that's left until the official release of Val Emmich's newest album, Looking For A Feeling You Never Knew You Needed.

Oh man, am I a lucky one. I first discovered Val's music a couple years ago. His album, Little Daggers is fantastic. Then, last year, I found out he was playing a couple shows in GA. He was kind enough to grant me an interview (My first for this blog! Read it HERE!) and experience the sound checks before the amazing performance he put on later that night. Despite feeling under the weather, we had a great conversation and I (among many in the audience) got to enjoy an incredible show. What does that have to do with this album? Well, here's the thing.... I just finished reading his story of how Looking For A Feeling You Never Knew You Needed came into fruition. You can read it HERE. (And you really should read it!) So, I felt compelled to share a little on my personal experience in discovering Val Emmich and how writing this review came about.
Portrait of Val Emmich by Mary Berras
Val Emmich, is an inspiring artist of various mediums. Whether he is acting, writing, or making music...Val is a true artist in that he gives everything he has in all that he does. His honesty, passion, and willingness to be so open, along with his creativity and talent, are even more evident in this latest collection of songs. How do I know this if the album isn't out until September 21? Like I said, I'm a lucky one. :-) Actually, as the date for the album release drew near, I grew anxious to hear the album. I asked Val, for a sneak peek so I could write this review and share my thoughts with you. Lucky me...he graciously allowed me the preview!

Looking For A Feeling You Never Knew You Needed (2010) is Val Emmich's latest collection of brilliant music.

Best Tracks
  • Don't Wanna Go Home
  • Come Clean
  • Convince Me
The opening song, "Don't Wanna Go Home" is one of my favorites. It's full of energy and were I to be experiencing this song at one of his LIVE shows, I'd be singing the chorus long after the show had ended. 

"Come Clean" focuses on getting someone you care about to open up and share more of themselves. 
"I really wanna tear you apart, break you right at the seams. I wanna know who you are...all the layers underneath..." 
God. It makes me want to scream back...
HERE! OK! You wanna know?! You really wanna know?!! I'll tell you! 
The lyrics in this one are both stunning and emotionally penetrating. You feel his passion, and it just gets you all riled up to answer back and just give him what he wants. It is officially my absolute favorite of the entire album.

I love the intro to "Convince Me". Okay, okay. I love the whole freakin' song! A beautiful duet with Allie Moss. Their vocals really compliment one another and the music has a special charm to it.

OMG, I'm writing an epic novel here, and I've only mentioned 3 of the 12 songs on the album!!!! That's how good this is!!! Are you excited? Are you anxious to hear this album?! Val has really put himself out there on this one. I PROMISE you will love this album as much as I do. I know it's still 19 days away...so let me help you out a little.

Have a listen to "E.S.T."



It was featured in June as a FREE AOL download. You can still get it HERE.

You can also check out this Val Emmich player from his website HERE. The first four songs are from the new album and include "Convince Me".

Thank you, Val for making such damn amazing music, and for sharing your talents with the world. I sit here in awe...inspired by your continual exploration of your endless talent and looking for that feeling you never knew you needed. 

And in 19 days...On September 21, the rest of the world will be too.


No comments: