2.07.2011

SHOW REVIEW: Linkin Park at Philips Arena

A couple Sundays ago, I was feeling pretty lousy. In the late afternoon, my fever just broke, after it started almost 40 hours before. With just over 2 hours before the opening act came on stage, I told my boyfriend to get the car ready, we were headed to Atlanta. I was going to see Linkin Park.

I remember when the band first came out with Hybrid Theory a decade ago. I played it all the time, and it got me through some significant moments. Over the years, I still listened to some Linkin Park, but not nearly as much as I used to. I had always wanted to see them LIVE but hadn't been able to before. So, I was pretty excited for the opportunity to go to this show. I knew they'd play some of my old favorites, but I was really looking forward to their newer music.
Gallery Images below courtesy of Linkin Park

My first observation upon arrival at the venue was how crazy the lines were. Also, I found it interesting to look at all the kinds of people attending the show. Not what I would've expected. In addition to those around my age (who were in college when Linkin Park first hit it big), I saw teens, young adults, families, and some even old enough to be in their late 60s early 70s. I was impressed by the diversity of people around me!

My second observation were the "bible thumpers" just outside who were telling everyone to repent. Now don't get me wrong. I don't have a problem with religion, and myself belive in God. But I was like...what in the world are these guys doing at a Linkin Park show?! Did they think they were some kind of bad influence? Ummm... Far from it! In fact, one of the things that stuck out the most to me from the show, was Linkin Park's support of Music for Relief - a group of artists, music industry professionals, and fans working together to create positive change. Their mission is to support disaster relief and reduce global warming. Is that not cool?! I thought so. I love when artists give back and help to make this world a better place.
Gallery Images below courtesy of my Blackberry

In regards to their performance, it was pretty amazing. Their energy and stage presence was pretty invigorating. As sick as I was when I got to the show, for the couple hours of their performance, I forgot about how terrible my body physically felt. I had already lost my voice due to intense coughing for several days, yet I wanted (and tried badly) to scream in excitement. It was fun feeling like I was in my 20s again when they sang their older songs. But, their newer songs were just as good. Linkin Park has grown and matured a bit in their sound, but the energy and the passion are still just as much, as they were ten years ago. Overall, it was a great show, and it was worth the extra effort to go despite being sick. I'm SO glad I didn't miss it!

Big on their fans, the band encourages you to post all your photos, videos, tweets, etc. of the show and tag them. I thought that was pretty cool because a lot of the shows in bigger venues don't usually allow photography and such. I myself had brought my camera, but when they couldn't locate my photo pass for the pit, I decided not to bring it in. Which ended up working out, because I got to enjoy the show more, just sitting back and watching.

One of the other cool things that Linkin Park does for their fans is give them the opportunity to download the entire LIVE show of any of their performances...EVER. They are available for purchase on their website. However, as part of A Thousand Suns tour, instructions are displayed on the projector screenson how you can get a code that allows you to download that particular show for free. So now, I can relive the experience anytime I want. Check out the player below to listen and experience with me! If they are coming to a town near you, I definitely recommend going.


No comments: