7.15.2008

SHOW REVIEW: Glen Phillips


Part Two: Glen Phillips
www.glenphillips.com

Glen. *deep breath* Glen Phillips. *deep breath* FINALLY.

So, the background story to this event that occured last Friday night (July 11, 2008) goes like this...
I have been in love with Glen's music for 20 years and counting. Ever since the days of Toad the Wet Sprocket. I was sad after they broke up, thinking I wouldn't hear anything new from Glen. But was thankfully, wrong, when I discovered he was doing solo acts. For whatever reason, I was never able to make it to any of his shows (with Toad and/or solo). Either I was short on funds, sick, had prior commitments couldn't get out of... what have you. This year, I was determined. I was thrilled to find out he was playing in Atlanta, but when I discovered he was doing the show in Athens, I KNEW. There was NO WAY I was missing his show.
So, I am utterly ecstatic as my friend and I are on 129 headed to Athens. It was finally happening, for real! I was super excited when I entered the venue. I had never been to The Melting Point before. I really like it. It's a nice, intimate place, and we were seated at a candlelit table in the very front row. Far left, next to the steps that Glen would soon be climbing up to take the stage.

After I just finished talking to Antje Duvekot, Glen walked right past me with his guitar and smiled. He was going on stage. Oh. My. God. My legs felt like jello. Thank goodness my seat was a mere two feet away. I immediately sat down as he adjusted his guitar and began to play.

Glen's show was incredible. He played a variety of songs from his albums. Opening each with a story or comment. Sharing a bit of himself with the audience. At one point he threw his arms in the air and cried "Butterbean!", then proceeded to explain that it is something his brother told him to do when in Georgia. Ha ha ha. There were even a few political comments, which didn't bother me (seeing as I agreed with him). Whatever.

Listening to him, I laughed. I smiled. It was awesome.


He played a couple songs from Toad days, including two popular favorites "Walk On The Ocean" and "All I Want". The latter of the two was done "sing-a-long" where he'd stop and let us sing the chorus. That was so fun! I would've gotten some video of it, but I was too engaged in singing and clapping while wearing a cheezy big grin on my face. Oh, and "Crowing" was pretty awesome too.

He also did a couple covers. A Paul Simon one, Huey Lewis' "I Want A New Drug" which was the most sexiest version I have EVER heard of that song (I mean...Damn! Whew!), and Randy Newman's "Political Science". I've got video of the Newman song and will be posting that along with a few others I was able to get as well.

Naturally, most of his performance consisted of songs from his solo albums. I loved "Thank You" and "Train Wreck" and... well... HECK... I loved it all!

Glen performed songs from a new EP he has out called Secrets of the New Explorers. Go buy it. It's fantastic. My favorite song on it is track #2, called "Solar Flare".


Anyways, after Glen's amazing performance, and encore, I gathered up my nerves and approached him by the bar. He smiled and had to go put his guitar up, but promised to come back and speak with me. Which he did.

First, I told him how nervous I was... ha ha ha. Then, how much I love his music. How I've tried to catch a show for many years, and was so thrilled to see him perform that night... Let alone, have the opportunity to meet him. I wrote a little note on the back of my contact card, with this blog address and gave it to him. That way he could read on here everything I wished I could tell him but was finding myself difficult to express. He was so down-to-earth, and thanked me for my appreciation and support of his music. Glen kindly signed my cd and even took a couple photos with me. I even got a hug before I walked away. I'm amazed I didn't pass out. Ha ha ha.

My hands were shaking a bit, on the way to the car. Thank God I wasn't going to be the one driving. *sigh* When I got home, I looked at my cd, and saw that he'd written "Jen - Hello, at last." In reference to FINALLY getting to see him.

Yes, Glen. Hello, at last... indeed.

More pics and video to come soon...

No comments: